Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Question For the Gardeners Out There

How do you prevent mustard greens from flowering? My plants were doing great for about 3 weeks, then suddenly they all burst into bright yellow flowers. That would be cool if I weren’t growing them for food, but I can’t help feeling like I’m being denied my right to eat these guys. It seems like I’ll pick a few leaves, then in a few days the plant decides to flower. Some of them started flowering without even waiting for me to pick their leaves. Am I waiting too long to harvest the leaves?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, i'm not a serious vegetable farmer yet, but I have learned with a lot of plants, if you pick the flowers, you'll get more growth. I would try cutting off the flowers before they go to seed. It usually induces new growth, because the plant then needs to make new flowers.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home