Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Latest From the Front Lines

Well it's a weird bipolar existence, hearing news of tension and clashes
around the country and walking around my village surrounded by the usual
bucolic scene of docile cows and frolicking monkeys and birds twittering in
the forest and idlers in the town center staring motionlessly as I walk by.
The latest news is that the government (Yes camp) shut down the Kalenjin
radio station, KAS-FM, which is the tribe I live with (I know, I've called
them Nandis before; Nandis are a subtribe of the Kalenjin, and this whole
area is a huge No camp, but I digress). In response there were riots in
Eldoret yesterday, a Kalenjin town. What is the country coming to when the
Kalenjins, the shyest and most passive tribe I've ever met, are rioting?
There are rumors that the Luo radio station will be the next to be shut
down, Luos being the tribe in Nyanza and Western Provinces, both heavily No
camps.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who sent me little updates on their lives. Boy
have I missed a lot! And sometimes the little updates just beg more
questions. Why are you moving to Beijing? How did you end up in Cambodia?
And of course, you got married???

I'm off to try to write a proposal for my VCT, but I don't know how an
organization with a completely corrupt financial history is supposed to get
money from any funder with half a brain. Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home