Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Here Come The Rains

I noticed two nights ago that everything was strangely still. I went to the choo and didn’t get creeped out by the trees swaying between the stars and the sound of crispy twigs and leaves crashing into sheet metal roofs. Dust no longer swirls through town like a Tazmanian Devil. The electric blue sky that loitered day after day for the last month is now thick with white and pink clouds. Just last week I felt overwhelmed by all the vivid colors of the dry season – I almost took a picture of the sky, the brilliant tea fields and the purple and pink bougainvilleas that grow along the wall of the school compound, but decided that I’d have plenty of time to capture this scene that I walk past every day. I’d make a bad professional photographer, and a wildly successful missed opportunist. You folks back home may have to wait until next dry season to see a photo. I know the rains are almost here because I’ve busted out my long underwear and turtleneck sweater again, the ones I packed thinking I’d only use them if I climbed Mt Kenya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home